My mother in law found a dresser at a garage sale for $5 and gave it to me. My son Aiden has been wanting a rustic aquatic themed bedroom so I figured out a way to make the dresser fit that theme. I took my before shot just after I took the old handles off and already puttied the damaged areas.....I was a little excited to start this project!
I de-glossed the dresser then sanded the main part of the dresser.
I stained the main part of the dresser Rustoleum Kona.
I drilled my holes for my drawers, I used the old handle width to gauge how big I wanted my handles. I did 4 holes per handle, top and bottom 1 inch apart and 4.5inches between and I made 2 handles per drawer. I painted the drawer faces a matte black. Then I polyurethaned the drawer faces along with the whole main dresser. With a couple of rounds of poly and sanding I did the final coat of poly.
I got a roll of rope at Hobby Lobby for $5 + 40% coupon...$3! How thick the rope was is how I figured out how big I needed to make my holes before I painted the drawers. I cut off 2 chunks tied them together then fed the 4 pieces of rope threw the holes.
I tied the rope inside the drawer. I was surprised how it was not too snug or too loose. And they made super cheap at 30 cents per handle with tons of rope left over!